Questioning your sexuality or gender?
Gender identity | Coming out
As well as the information on this website, there are lots of resources online that can help you understand what you’re feeling – and which offer advice for you and the important people in your life.
Nov. 2, 2022
Here are some general sites for all young people who think they might be lesbian, gay, bisexual or are questioning their sexual orientation, and/or who think they might be trans, non-binary or are questioning their gender identity:
- Stonewall Young Futures Hub for LGBTQ+ young people
- The Proud Trust charity has lots of help and advice on their website.
- Mermaids works with young people who feel at odds with the gender they have been assigned. As well as reading information on their website, you can also call the Mermaids helpline on 0344 334 0550 (Monday-Friday, 9am-9pm) to talk to someone. They also operate an emergency text service – if you need help now, text ‘Mermaids’ to 85258.
- Mindline Trans+ is a UK-wide helpline run by and for trans, non-binary, gender-diverse and gender-fluid people. They offer a confidential and non-judgemental listening service on 0300 330 5468 (Monday & Friday, 8pm-midnight).
- Gendered Intelligence run projects for young people who identify as trans. Their Knowledge is Power resource is a great place to start educating yourself about trans people and trans issues.