Quick exit

Closure of The Tavistock and Portman gender clinic

BeYou are here to support you through the changes to your referral


The journey to becoming your authentic self can feel overwhelming, especially with the recent changes regarding the closure of the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust in April 2024.

Dec. 5, 2023

If you are a young person up to the age of 17 who identifies as trans or non-binary you may have received the Gender Experience Summary Form from Arden and GEM about your referral being transferred from GIDS (Gender Identity Development Service) to the new providers of children and young people’s gender incongruence services.

If you haven't received this letter yet - don't worry. There have been some delays and they hope to get all letters out by December 2023.

We understand that this news might have stirred up some uncertainty and anxiety about your referral and the next steps of your assessment.

We want to reassure you that you’re not alone.

If you’re feeling low or anxious about these changes, we’re here to listen and support you.

What are my next steps?

Arden and GEM are holding your referral on a waiting list until seven new gender support providers are set up across the UK between 2024 and 2026.

For young people aged 17 and older, you may wish to consider whether a referral into an Adult Gender Dysphoria Clinic is appropriate if you don’t have a current ‘live’ referral.

The adult service accepts referrals from 17 years of age, though waiting times into the adult service are currently quite long.

Anyone who wants to transfer their referral to adult services will have their original referral date honoured, and we can support with making this transition from one referral list to another is smooth.

This wait might feel tough, but we’re here to wait with you.

Can you help me with my Gender Experience Summary Form?

You don’t have to fill in this form but completing it might speed up your assessment process. We're more than happy to help you if you're finding it tricky.

I’m struggling to cope with my feelings. What should I do?

BeYou understands the unique challenges you're facing and the mixed emotions you may be feeling – many of us have been there. Whether you're looking for someone to chat with, a safe space to be yourself, or info on mental health services, our friendly team is ready to help.

If you feel like you can’t cope, your GP can connect you with your local Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

If you need mental health support urgently, please contact one of the below organisations:

Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline

text SHOUT to 85258 (UK-wide) – 24 hours

LGBT Foundation - Helpline and Email Support

Advice & Information - MindOut LGBTQ Mental Health Service

Kids & Young People - Mermaids

Remember, your journey is as unique as you.

We are here to walk it with you and make sure you feel supported, heard, and empowered every step of the way.