Want to get more involved with your local LGBT+ community but don’t know where to start? Going to events can be a good way to meet new people and feel part of a wider, inclusive community.
We’ll update this page regularly with LGBT+ event listings in Kent.
The first Pride parades were political rallies, held to increase LGBT+ visibility and to protest against prejudice in society. You can find out more about the history of Pride here.
Today Pride parades, festivals and parties are still political events – where LGBT+ people can come together, make a statement by being themselves in public and continue to fight for equality – but they are also a brilliant opportunity to celebrate in a safe, inclusive environment.
Many Pride events are traditionally held in June, which is Pride month, although in Kent some events take place later in the summer.
Other LGBT+ events in Kent
- LGBT+ Creatives project (16-25 only!). This free series of workshops is open to 16-25 year olds from Swale – Sittingbourne, Faversham and the Isle of Sheppey – who identify as LGBT+ or straight allies. By joining this project, you will experience high quality art as an audience member, viewing a series of shows and taking part in workshops. All this then leads to YOU deciding on and creating your own awareness project. For more info and to find out how to get involved, visit ideastest.org.uk/lgbt-creatives
- Pride Fives – this is a new 5-a-side football league organised by the Kent FA. Launching in May 2019, Pride Fives is open to LGBT+ people and allies and will hold weekly fixtures at the Spitfire Ground in Canterbury. You can sign up as a team or an individual – find out more here: kentfa.com/news/2019/apr/10/pride-fives-league-launching-in-canterbury
- Queer Talks- a series of talks with LGBT+ activists at Dreamland, Margate. BeYou members can get free tickets for talks by Sue Sanders (Tuesday 19 November, 6.30-9pm) and Munroe Bergdorf (Tuesday 26 November, 6.30 – 9pm). BeYou members don’t need to pay – email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on the guest list.
LGBT History Month
February is LGBT History Month in the UK and lots of events take place across the county – and the country – every year. Here are some places to find event listings for the next LGBT History Month:
- The LGBT History Month website features an events calendar which you can filter by event location. See the listings here: lgbthistorymonth.org.uk/event-calendar
- The University of Kent hosts lots of events every year – many of them are free to attend and open to all. Take a look at their website a bit closer to the time to find out more: www.kent.ac.uk/studentsupport/lgbthm.html